Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Balsamic Chicken Legs


Right now, I'm in the midst of a 30-day clean eating challenge that excludes dairy, grain, and sugar called the Whole30. It is also known as the meanest thing I've ever done to myself, considering my love affair with cheese and bread. Even so, after a few days of adjustment and a tearful goodbye to ice cream, I'm feeling perky and wonderful! And I've so enjoyed this new cooking challenge!



One of the first meals I made during this new challenge was balsamic chicken legs with a carrot and cauliflower puree (recipe to come!) and kale salad. It was simple and totally hit the spot! Unfortunately my urgency for protein caused me to forego process pictures, but the recipe is below!


Even if you aren't taking on a new eating challenge, give this recipe a go! It's delicious, filling, and super simple. And if you are looking for a fun challenge, check out the Whole30!



Balsamic Chicken Legs
Serves 3

Ingredients
6 chicken legs
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 shallot, diced
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Italian seasoning or dried basil

Directions
1. In a gallon-sized Ziploc baggie, combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, shallot, garlic, salt, pepper, and seasoning. Add the chicken legs and let marinate in the fridge for at least two hours, up to overnight.
2. When ready to cook the legs, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cook legs for 45 minutes to one hour, until they're no longer pink in the middle. Remove from oven and let rest for a few minutes before serving.



5 comments:

  1. I wouldn't call it a "fun" challenge, but it does re-alter your relationship with food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a brilliant challenge! I think I am going to bite the bullet and start it on sunday! anything with this gorgeous meal can't be bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chicken legs look delicious and you are doing great on your whole30! Isn't it nice to be on day 10?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. would this work the same way with chicken breast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! You won't need as much marinating or cooking time, but taste will be the same :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I hope you enjoyed my post, and happy cooking!