Wednesday, July 6, 2011

How to Dress Up a Can of Tomato Soup



Today, I'm presenting you with a recipe that was truly born out of my college-student status. As with many American children, I have been eating grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup since I could handle solid food. It's convenient, easy, filling, and delicious.

But sometimes, it can be a bit boring. Let's face it, it's simply a can of tomato puree and milk or water, depending on your preference. After a year of to-go Campbell's cups of soup, I decided that I could no longer consume this boring tomato stuff as is, so I gave it a serious makeover.



Start by combining one can of tomato soup with a can full of milk, as you usually would. We're not using water here. I usually use 1% milk, but if you aren't calorie conscious and have it on hand, of course it would be even better with half and half or heavy cream.

Now here's the fun part: add garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust. Let simmer for 10 minutes or so to release all that flavor.



Pour into bowls and top with a little bit of parmesan cheese and some fresh basil. Ta da! You are no longer eating boring old tomato soup.



If you're really feeling adventurous, make some homemade sandwich bread for your grilled cheeses. I used such bread for the sandwiches in these pictures.

Fancy Tomato Soup
Serves Two

Ingredients
1 can tomato soup
Milk or heavy cream
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Parmesan cheese
Fresh basil

Directions
1. In a saucepan, combine tomato soup and 1 can full of milk of choice or heavy cream.
2. Add garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper and let sit on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes.
3. Pour into bowls and top with parmesan cheese and fresh basil.

11 comments:

  1. I love that old fashioned Campbells Tomato soup - it's the stuff of childhood! And congratulations on making your own bread, it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I believe that fresh basil has the power to make everything better :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good "kick" for simple Campbell's Soup. Imagination is the key ingredient.
    I just discovered your blog and am now a follower. I would love if you gave my blog a visit too and if you like it become a follower. Thank you. Have a great and blessed day, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to make a boring soup exciting :-)
    I love the way the basil looks on top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do this a lot, too! Good ol' Campbell's. Adding a scoop of salsa and some mexican seasonings is another delicious version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drool worthy!! I do love tomato soup in a can and this recipe kicked it up a 100 notches. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea - I am sure your improvements made the tomato soup A LOT better. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips for fanci-fying tomato soup! I love the idea of putting parmesan in it. Anything tomato with parmesan always tastes amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic!
    Thanks, Chelsea! I enjoyed the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We do this with Trader Joe's tomato soup in the box...yummmy!!!

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy hot. Next time I will omit the cayenne pepper. Otherwise, delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I hope you enjoyed my post, and happy cooking!